But, that's the way that American society views me, and many of my friends. Maybe that's even how you view me, you just don't know it.
What the hell am I talking about? This:
According to many Americans, people with tattoos can't be trusted. We, as Tattooed-Americans, are the reason that crime rates are so high. We make horrible parents. We would probably shoot someone for looking at us the wrong way. We can't hold a job. We might even kick a puppy just for fun while we're walking down the street. And, of course, there is no way that we could have any love or respect in our hearts for ourselves, God, or anyone else. Tattooed-Americans, especially between the ages of 18 and 35, are just a bunch of punks.
Generalized statements, yes, but not uncommon. Sadly, for whatever reason, tattoos in recent times have been associated with lower level society and it's a stigma that has stuck around. But, what do you see when you look at these pictures? I, personally, see love and beautiful artwork.


It is absolutely true that a high number of incarcerated people in the U.S. have tattoos. But so do a high number of men and women in the military. You'll be hard pressed to find a U.S. military installation anywhere in the world that doesn't have a tattoo parlor nearby. Some of the men and women that I see daily are covered nearly head to toe under their uniform, but does that make them unqualified to fight for our freedoms? Hell no. Not any more than it makes me unqualified to work as an Athletic Trainer with the two that I have.
Tattoos are a beautiful form of art and expression. Yes, there are many people with what I think to be ugly tattoos, but they paid for it and it (hopefully) means something to them, so who am I to judge? Last time I checked, character was not to be measured by the color of someone's skin, so don't mistake someone's multicolored, tatted up skin for a citizen of lower class. Some of the finest people I know have tattoos, and lots of them. We are a proud "race" as Tattooed-Americans.
Interestingly, Germans embrace tattoos (and other "fashionable" items that most Americans would gawk or snicker at), and no one looks twice at someone covered with tattoo sleeves and/or a bunch of piercings. It's normal and not considered anything to be thought about twice.
So, next time you see someone with a bunch of tattoos, instead of being intimidated by them, why don't you ask that person about some of them. They might have a cool story, or at least some meaning behind it. Don't worry, it doesn't mean that you have to go and get one (although they are pretty awesome), but don't judge a book by it's cover. (The same goes for piercings, too, by the way, but I'll save that for another day.)

And, as a final note, if you ask someone with a tattoo if it hurt and they tell you it didn't, they are a liar and you are an idiot...It sure as hell doesn't feel like someone throwing cotton balls at you for several hours, if that's what you're picturing.



I've sat through a few tattoo appointments as an observer, and they definitely aren't painless!
ReplyDeleteWhat are the words in your first tattoo?