14 October 2011

A whirlwind of a week

Hello! Well, the past seven days have been quite busy. I started off last weekend by getting some good driving time in by going to Regensberg (about an hour away) and back twice as a driving lesson. By that point, I was comfortable driving a manual car and on Monday was able to secure myself a green 97 BMW 316i, which I picked up yesterday. His name is Kermit.

Throughout the week, work has been starting to pick up a little. I'm slowly getting into the swing of things and making contacts with people on post to get some adaptive programs up and running. As it stands right now, starting in November, I will be leading a spin class twice a week as well as trying to get seated volleyball up and running with the Warriors. Next week I get to go to a ropes course and in a few weeks I will get to go to another part of Germany for a few days for a training session in adaptive sports. Soon I should also have to head down to Vicenza, Italy, which is the other site that is under my care. I was just so disappointed when I found out that that was going to be part of my job description (note sarcasm). :)

As far as living in Germany goes, like I said, I was able to finally get a car. I'm still in the process of figuring out how to drive it, since the gears are definitely not as smooth as the car that I learned on. I'll get there though. For only having learned how to drive stick about a week ago, I'm doing pretty well. I'm planning on going out driving this weekend to go investigate. That need to investigate also stems from the fact that I got incredibly lost this afternoon while trying to get to my new apartment for the inspection. Anyone who has known me for any amount of time should not be surprised. :) Long story short, I'm grateful that I have been blessed with a friend that I was comfortable enough calling in a very distraught state, and who helped me to figure out how to get where I needed to go and I was able to get my lease signed with his help. Monday I will be able to move in. I will also be getting some temporary furniture until mine arrives from the states. Once I get a little settled, I will have pictures. I was re-energized in my excitement in looking at the place again today and sitting down with my landlords, who are two of the sweetest people I have ever met. Plus, I have the coolest door key ever...yes, it's a real key (see below).

I have also joined the choir at church, which is nice to get back in to. After living in the South for so long, I had gotten out of my routine, and it's been several years since I've sung in church. I'm meeting some great people, including one of the captains that I work with, who invited me to join. It's amazing how many amazing people that I have met out here in such a short time!

That about sums it up for me for right now. I'll continue to try to post at least weekly, unless something super exciting comes up for me to post right away. Take care and God Bless!








No comments:

Post a Comment