24 November 2011

Happy Thanksgiving!

Alright, so I haven't posted on this in quite a while. Originally, it was because I didn't have internet in my apartment for the first 3-4 weeks that I lived here. After that, it was out of pure laziness. So, I'll recap my adventures from the past month and a half....

I loved in to my apartment in the middle of October. It's an awesome place, with a TON of space. It's approximately 1200 square feet. Even with all of my furniture in it, I still have so much room! My landlord's are still amazing people, and I'm grateful to be able to share their home. They have essentially adopted me as their daughter in a lot of ways, and we look after each other. They have watched my cats twice now when I've been gone for work, and I'm watching their mail and newspaper while they are out of town. I even went winter clothes shopping with my landlord a few weeks ago, because I am slowly in the process of buying a new wardrobe out of necessity and practicality.

I was in Kaiserslautern bout two weeks ago for training in adaptive sports. The U.S. Paralympic Committee came out here and showed us the ins and outs of sitting volleyball, archery, and wheelchair basketball. I had a great time and am looking forward to getting our programs up and running at work with the Warriors. The session really got me energized and gave me focus for what I'm doing at work, which I really needed at that point. My colleagues PT Techs keep telling me that I will have to spread my work out so that I actually have something to do each day, but I have yet to find a shortage of things to keep me busy on a daily basis yet. Maybe once I've been here for a few months...

I also got the opportunity to go down to Vicenza, Italy last week for four days. This is going to be a regular occurring trip because our unit it split between Vilseck and Vicenza, and in order to get things up and running down there with adaptive sports and PT, I'm going to need to physically be present when possible. Likely I'll be going at least once a month. It's a little bit of a drive (about 7-8 hours), but it's absolutely beautiful, so I really find nothing to complain about. Plus, I like driving, especially when I have people to keep me company. I was able to meet my coworkers down there, as well as get to know a couple from Vilseck better, and we had a great trip! I look forward to going back in a couple weeks.

Other than that, I haven't done too much traveling yet, as I'm still in the process of getting my finances settled. I'm still waiting to pay my first cell phone and electricity bill...Moving to a different country is quite an interesting currency adventure.

There are likely other things that I am forgetting to talk about right now, but those are the big things. I will try to be consistent about posting weekly again so that I can get more detailed information in as it comes up. In the meantime, remember that today is about being thankful for the blessings that we have been given, not just about gorging ourselves until we have to roll away from the dinner table. I have been blessed in many wonderful ways, before and since being in Germany, and I am thankful for ll those blessings. May this post find everyone well. God Bless and Happy Thanksgiving!

No comments:

Post a Comment