04 December 2011

Yepper

Well, it was an interesting week of highs and lows. I guess that's to be expected in life, although it's not always fun to hang on for the roller coaster. But, in the end, we all usually end up coming out of difficult situations stronger, or wiser, or if we're lucky, both.

I'm gradually learning how to stay positive in negative situations. It's not that I'm constantly in a negative situation, I just have negativity that pops up around me because my job is to implement change. We all know that change isn't easy for most people to handle, but the military is a whole other beast to work with on that. It's a slow progression, but at least some are starting to embrace the programs that I'm implementing. They are grasping that it's for their benefit, even if it's not what some would think of as logical or normal. Others are not so easily swayed, and I'm learning to sit back and just wait on them, but to do my job to the best of my ability in the meantime. I don't have the delusion that everyone will welcome all of my programs with open arms, but it's still a struggle sometimes to fight the resistance without letting it get to me. I'm learning....However, I still very much enjoy my job, and once I can really start to get things going, I'm hoping that some of the more difficult aspects of attitude will dissipate. I just keep reminding myself how it was when I started at Ft. Jackson and how much of a difference it was by the time I left.

On a more positive note, this week I also got the chance to practice my audition song for Evita with the director. I don't know whether or not I'll get a lead, although I'm pretty sure that I will be called back for one because he already gave me the callback song to practice. I don't really care what role I get, I'm just excited to get back on stage and perform. I realized that it's been 10 years since the last time that I auditioned or performed anything besides the Star Spangled Banner, and I miss it terribly. Plus, I look forward to getting to meet some new people and keep myself busy in the evenings. For those of you thinking of eventually coming out to visit me, late March/early April would be a good time, since that's when the performances will be...just sayin' ;)

The weather keeps wanting to turn here lately, but keeps changing its mind at the last minute. It has consistently called for snow and rain mix 7-10 days out for a couple weeks, yet the only things we've gotten is intense fog and some rain that started yesterday. It's calling for some light snow to start in a few days, but who knows. I'm ready for it to start snowing, but I'm also a little anxious because that means that I need to drive in it. Considering I have minimal experience doing so, it could be interesting. I'm also a little nervous for the fact that I'll be driving through Austria on the way to Italy in another week. I have no doubt that I will have some snow to drive through at that point. But I have to learn sometime...

Welp, that's about all I have to report for this week as far as the major highlights go. I'm a little homesick lately, but I'm trying to deal with that the best that I can. My cats are still making life interesting around the house, but they seem to be the happiest that they've ever been since they have so much space in this apartment. Mom is still planning on visiting in a couple weeks for Christmas. You know, same ol' same ol'. Tschus!

1 comment:

  1. Well, I'm nine days late, but I was so happy to read this! I know you mentioned that you were homesick that last time we Skyped, but I know things will get better and feel more comfortable once you REALLY settle in and get to know more people. And doing a musical will help with that! I can't wait to Skype again. Soon? Yes? I love you, Dixie!

    ReplyDelete