Since I'm in Vicenza this week for work and I have a little bit more time in the afternoons than I have in recent weeks, I'm using it as a great excuse to get my run on. I have not been very good about working out like I had promised or anticipated, and I'm pretty much ashamed of myself for it. However, not only do I have the Tough Mudder to motivate me, but I made a bet with a friend as to who could have the best six pack by September 1. He thinks he's got it in the bag, but there's a lot to be said for my competitive spirit and youth :)
Yesterday, when we all got here, my commander showed myself and our new 1SG a restaurant that he had gone to before that's on the top of a hill overlooking Vicenza. The food there was great (and I apparently impressed the wait staff with my food intake abilities), but while we were driving up, I couldn't help but think that it would be a great place to go running; so this afternoon, I did.


These are the two main hills that I ran up. I actually ran for a further distance than just this, because I started at the bottom of the hill and ran all the way up. I'm not sure how long in distance it was, but it took me about 7 minutes to get up. The pictures don't really do the grade of the hill justice....I haven't had a love/hate relationship with a hill run since I ran up Mount Soledad in San Diego as a Marine Corps officer candidate in college. This one was not as long as Mt S, which took us somewhere around 20 minutes to complete the 1.5 miles straight up, but the view at the top was just as breathtaking.
Like I said, a love/hate relationship.

But one hill wasn't enough, so I ran up another one, and then I followed a sidewalk to see where it went, which led into a park. I'm not sure of the historical significance of the park, but there were old cannons, and I think a museum. But the museum was closed because it's an Italian holiday today.

So, all in all, I felt like I could have done more, and I was going to run down and then up one more hill, but it started to rain, so I cut my loses. I'm debating, but I think I might end up going back there tomorrow or Thursday and doing some more hills. We'll see. After that, I felt I deserved a good dinner, so I treated myself to walking downstairs to the restaurant in my hotel. Only 12.50 euros later, including a liter of water, I was a happy girl :)
Nice work, girl! Six pack by September 1st totally sounds like something you could pull off! Go get 'em, tiger! :-)
ReplyDelete