11 July 2013

Kanu means love

I am still grieving from the sudden loss of my cat, Kanu, and I figure that doing a brief memorial for him will help in the process.

When I was in my first year of grad school, I wanted to get a cat to help me with the loneliness that I often felt being stuck inside studying all the time. I knew that I wanted to name him or her "Kanu" before even getting a cat, an African word that means "love". When I went to the foster home to pick him out, he actually chose me. He came right up to me, rubbed my legs, meowed, purred, and let me know that he was the one that I should pick. I didn't think twice. He was 14 weeks old and the first pet that I had as an adult. The first few months were spent getting him healthy after he caught several things from being in such close vicinity to other cats, but after that, he was a very healthy cat. Although his paperwork said that he was a domestic shorthair, I'm pretty sure he was actually a Bombay. He grew up to be about 15 pounds of solid muscle and looked like a miniature panther. He was so handsome.

Kanu actually fit onto the computer when I got him. He quickly outgrew that...

He was even smart enough to open the dresser drawers...
There was never a dull moment after getting Kanu. He was an expert at getting into trouble because of his curiosity, and he was the smartest cat that I have ever met. He would throw temper tantrums if I didn't pay enough attention to him or I was gone for too long during the day. He even knew how to open my front door in Germany and would constantly attempt it when he wanted to let me know that I wasn't doing things his way. He loved to eat plastic, which made me constantly more aware of what I had lying around the house. And he would never allow quiet time when it was time for him to eat. I used to yell at him that it was like having a perpetual 2-year-old all the time. 


But, even with all the trouble that he caused me, he always stayed true to his name's meaning. He was so full of love, and he would monopolize cuddle time with me whenever he could. As he got older, he got more independent, but he was always a mama's boy, and I knew it. He would often think that he wanted to live outside, but when given the opportunity to see the big world, he was a big scaredy cat. He also loved people and if someone new came in the house, he was the first to greet them. He and I shared a special bond that I can't explain.

He loved to pretend like he could sneak out of the sky
window above my bed.
I miss him deeply right now and am still working to be at peace with what happened and the fact that I wasn't able to be with him at the end. His sister, Kayiloo (who's name you probably just pronounced wrong in your head, but it means "peace") has been a good source of comfort to me. I think we both need each other right now. Over time, it will get easier, but I will never forget Kanu. He taught me more than I ever thought a cat could teach someone, and I hope that somewhere out there he's rolling around in catnip, chasing lasers, and jumping on to everything that he sees.



 I love you, Bubba, and you will always be in my heart. Be at peace now.


2 comments:

  1. I am so sorry... I know how terrible it is to lose a pet. There's something about the unconditional love an animal gives you that cannot be described and hurts more than anything to lose. I hope your Kanu is at rest now... you guys are both in my prayers.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi, friend. We have so much to catch up on. I'm so sorry to hear about Kanu's passing while you were in the states. The loss of any pet is heart-wrenching, but losing the first-adopted is an especially gripping pain. S and I send you our love and hugs. Tolly's passing still brings him to tears if we talk about him for too long. I love you. RIP, Kanu, you sweet boy.

    ReplyDelete