*Forward note: I cannot upload pictures right now, but I will (hopefully) do so when I get back home and have the ability to do so. Instead, use your imagination to picture it all for now ;)
Since moving overseas, every year over Thanksgiving, I take what Europeans would call, a holiday. I still insist that it is the best American holiday to travel during for multiple reasons so, I do. This year, I was fortunate enough to be able to have my mom's timeshare transferred to me, and instead of going to Kaui, where it is normally for but is a bit too expensive to get to for me, I transferred it to Mallorca, an island just off the coast of Spain.
I arrived yesterday after a quick flight from Munich, and when I walked out of the airport to grab a taxi, I heard one of the drivers say to the one that was going to take me, "guapa" (which basically means beautiful). I couldn't help but crack a smile at that, especially because I got the feeling that he said it not thinking that I would understand. It was good to know that my Spanish wasn't too rusty on some of the more important words. ;)
After checking in, I went to explore my villa, which they chose a little bit closer to the main area since I told them I didn't have a car. Apparently, I found out, that's neither normal nor advised to be without. Clearly, they don't know me and my affinity for walking while on holiday. The villa is a beautiful two stories with two bedrooms, a kitchen, and a patio with my own semi-private balcony area. Of course, I have the master suite, and everything else, all to myself. Yes, I'm here alone, which doesn't bother me too much, and the accommodations trump staying in a hostel like normal. I also was given my preferred rewards card (thanks to my mom being an owner), which gives me discounts and included a free bottle of wine. I wasn't upset at that, in case you were wondering.
I took the night easy, finding my way to the marketplace shop and then over to the restaurant, where I enjoyed a delicious glass of sangria. Considering how little I had had to eat, it definitely did its job, and I felt a bit of a buzz prior to the arrival of my food. Had I drunk it at the speed and amount that I really wanted to, I would have felt a much stronger buzz, but the 6 euro cost stopped me from doing so.
Once returned to my villa, I did what I could to relax and try to calm the anxiety that I had eating at me. I'm not completely sure why I was so incredibly anxious, but I definitely was, and I was more than glad to sit down, relax, and watch a movie on television. I have also found it quite interesting how many Germans are staying here at the resort and even the island, noted by the amount of German vs Spanish that I've heard around the resort, and the fact that many signs around town are not only in Spanish and English, but also German. (For those who don't live in Europe, it's quite common to have informational signs in both the native language and English, no matter the country.)
After the movie, it was time for bed (at least my time for bed), and therein lies the conclusion of the day.
So, as boring as it sounds, that was Day 1 on the island. Don't worry, there are more adventures to come! I know you're waiting with baited breath!
No comments:
Post a Comment