30 July 2015

Life Change 2 of 2: Master's Degree Number Two

A few months ago, I wrote about my first big life change, leaving the WTU. Well, now it's time to write about my next big life change, going back to school....again.

Ah, grad school, you little sneak, you. I graduated with a Master's Degree in Athletic Training back in 2009 in order to become a Certified Athletic Trainer (ATC) (and if you don't know what that means or what I do, take a look here to see more from our national organization), so I'm no stranger to higher education. I thought that was it. No more school ever! Many of my friends and classmates have gone on to PA or PT school to further their professional abilities, but not me. I knew from the get-go that I was put on this earth to be an ATC and have been in love with my profession since day one. So, then what in the world could I want to go back to school for? What could possibly further my professional goals if there's not really anywhere else to go in the athletic training education world? See, that's a funny story. Sit back and enjoy a cup of tea while I explain.

As stated above, I am passionate about what I do. I am so passionate about it, that I am willing to do it for free. Three school years ago, that's exactly what I started doing. You see, the Department of Defense Dependents Schools (DoDDS) does not hire athletic trainers anywhere in the world. So, while many states are implementing laws that require secondary schools to hire us so that children stay safe and healthy while playing sports, this small and generally unknown subset of schools that caters to the children of those that serve our country, is left in a forgotten place that doesn't fall under any specific state legislation. In other words, there are no athletic trainers hired because, frankly, there is no one in a high enough position speaking out for us to be.

Let's go back to August of 2012. It all started with me working in a job that didn't utilize my professional skills, a high school teacher/volleyball coach, and a camp. I met B during the first month that I started working at the WTU when my job took me to the other side of Germany to learn all about adapted sports, including sitting volleyball, which he was helping to teach. He knew what my title and professional skill set was and upon learning that I lived and worked in the same location as he, eagerly said that he would love to have me help out at the high school. He runs a volleyball camp annually, so when the time came closer, he asked if I wanted to help out. I said sure but was only able to work it part time that year. That, however, started a snowball rolling.

I loved feeling like an athletic trainer again. It was electrifying seeing that I was able to truly help the kids, so shortly after camp I talked to the local high school's athletic director about volunteering at the high school more regularly. It started with me never having met any of the coaches, walking on to the field for the first football game of the year, introducing myself, and going along for the ride. Although none of the coaches knew who I was then, over three years I have been consistent, even being able to come in the afternoons twice a week for practices for a while before getting my current job that has more stable hours. I have been to nearly every home game for every sport since then and have also covered a couple of the combined larger competitions for DoDDS at the conclusion of the season. Not only have the coaches and parents come to appreciate me being there, but the student athletes have, too. I promise, there is no better feeling than having an athlete see me and exclaim, "Where have you been?! I've needed to ask you about something!".

During my second year of volunteering, the principal came to me and asked if I would be willing to help consult on a sports medicine class that he was trying to get implemented into the curriculum. I excitedly agreed and was looking forward to being able to expand the quick base of knowledge that I had been able to give the kids when they got injured to a much more thorough look inside my world and their bodies. Unfortunately, the proposal was rejected on the basis that there wasn't an ATC available to teach the class (a requirement for the program to exist), and because I wasn't a teacher, I wasn't eligible to do so.

And that's where the story comes into the present.

At that time I briefly looked into the possibility, but the logistics didn't easily work and I just didn't have the strong desire to look much further into it. However, as time went on I kept being pulled in a direction that I never would have dreamed and would have laughed at if my future self told me that it would happen. I am going to become a high school teacher.

But, it's not that simple, because I never do anything simply. I have no desire nor intention of wanting to get a teaching degree to teach in any schools other than DoDDS schools (and not just for the benefits). Not only am I excited to be able to "grow my profession" by enriching young minds and being able to continue to watch them further engage in their own well-being by teaching sports medicine, but I feel like it's just a part of the bigger picture. As insane as it sounds, I want to be a catalyst (maybe even THE catalyst) that somehow, someway gets athletic trainers hired solely as athletic trainers in the DoDDS system (not as teachers who do their extra curricular activities as the school AT or hoping that there is a local volunteer who has some free time and energy on their hands). I am not the first nor am I the only person to see this problem as a true problem, but everyone that I have talked to has either run up against a brick wall or just has no idea where to start.

Truth be told, I am no different. I have no idea how to even begin on this journey (other than getting another master's degree in secondary education), but that has never stopped me. When my passion sparks up about something, there is almost nothing in the world that can shut it down. And when I feel like my soul is being called to do something, the only thing that I can do is get to the grindstone and have faith that all the questions of who, what, when, where, and how will be answered along the way. It's happened in may facets of my life, so why doubt it now?

I know, I know. I am reaching beyond the stars, especially to any current DoDDS teachers who are reading this. There are SO many pieces that have to fall into place, things that could go wrong, and bureaucracy that I will have to fight. Those that I have told of my coming adventure and who doubt me, deeming this all as silly wishful thinking, generally do so because they don't know me well. Those that do know me well are excited for me and cheering me on because they know my strength, they see my passion, and they feel my soul. I'm just buckling my seat belt because the roller coaster cart is currently making its ascent, and when it reaches that apex, there's no telling what's around the next bend.

So, there you have it. This year is showing me to never say never unless you want something to happen. Life is a crazy time, but I'm not alone and never will be. Ready to jump on with me?

No comments:

Post a Comment