04 September 2012

Paralympics Day 2: It's good to know people

Day 2 was amazing! Sunday night I discovered that I forgot to pack sports bras, so going for a run wasn't going to happen. Instead, I decided to walk to Olympic Park in the morning, which was around 7 miles from my hostel. I didn't really see too many cool sites since it brought me through some "semi-hood" parts of town, but I still got a good walk in on one of the hottest days London has had in a while. I did get to go through a pretty park (Victoria Park), though.
A random artistic building amongst the more traditional

I know it these were for radiators, but I thought they were rad, too.

From there, I decided to go into the 2012 Megastore to do some souvenir shopping and had the opportunity to meet and talk to one of the Team USA guys for fencing, Mario Rodriguez. He's a former Air Force guy, and I got to tell him about the work that I'm doing with Soldiers, which he was helping to get people to understand the importance of years ago before he retired in 2004.


After that, I continued browsing and ran into Trent, the equipment manager from the Team USA mens wheelchair basketball, and Tom, the assistant coach. I was able to meet Trent back in March when the team came out and played a tournament in Frankfurt and then did a demonstration for our Soldiers. It was a completely chance meeting that made my day by far the best yet this trip. I got the opportunity to go up into the Orbitz, normally a ticket-only feat, and see an amazing view of London along with some crazy mirrors. He also squared me away with a ticket to the mens game vs Spain last night, as well as getting me a ticket for the closing ceremonies at an incredibly, ridiculously reduced rate. The game was a great game, with USA pulling out with the W. I think I may have lost my voice, but it was totally worth it.
The Orbitz...the tallest sculpture in London.
Front row seats for the men's game. I got there at 5 pm for a 9:15 game to get them :)
Before seeing the men play, I also had the excitement of seeing the USA women's team come back from a 20 point deficit to beat China in overtime by 3 points (68-65). Everyone around me knew who I was cheering for to win...another part of why I thought I would have no voice today.

A little bit of action from the women's game
And then I got to end the night hanging out with the coaches and staff of the men's team at one of the local hotspots. It was great to see them all again and meet a couple new parts of the staff that weren't able to come out to Germany in March. They are all a great bunch of people whom I'm so glad to have gotten the opportunity to know. Today I have no tickets for any Games events, so the plan is basic London shenanigans. Updates to follow... :)

1 comment:

  1. This is so awesome! Other than being without a sports bra, I'm glad to see that the trip is turning out to be such a success! Love you!

    ReplyDelete