02 December 2012

Here and Now


Embrace the moment

It sounds cheesy, I know. But think about it. How often do we actually do it?

Personally, I don't do it nearly enough.

For anyone who knows me, or who has had much more than a 30 second conversation with me, it comes as no surprise for me to say that I have a Type A personality. When it comes to getting things done and propelling myself forward, it's a great attribute to have. However, sometimes my own drive prevents me from being in the here and now. I find myself constantly looking for what "the next step" is going to be, pushing myself forward to be better today than yesterday so that tomorrow will be as great as I envision it.

But, that's just it, I really can't visualize tomorrow as much as I would like to, so I'm in a never-ending battle to drive on towards somewhere that is still in at least partial darkness. I forget that life is happening to me right now and that I have time to worry about tomorrow when it gets here.

That doesn't mean I should procrastinate; preparation is almost always better in the long run. Yet, it does mean that sometimes I need to remind myself that, despite where I am in life at this very moment, I still have a (hopefully) long journey ahead of me with adventures and experiences that I can't even begin to imagine. And what happens in my life now will affect what happens in my life then, no matter how small.

So, as a reminder to myself, but also to anyone else who needs it, embrace the moment. Carpe diem. Seize the day. Live like you were dying. Whatever generally over-used phrase you want to use, do it. Today will only last, at most, 24 hours. That's not a whole lot of time.

Every experience in life is unique. Have fun with it. Smile. And, if anyone ever asks you what day today is, fervently answer them, "It's a great day to be alive!"

1 comment:

  1. "It's a great day to be alive,
    I know the sun's still shinin' when I close my eyes."

    :)

    ReplyDelete