26 December 2012

New Year's Resolutions

I know that we shouldn't wait until the new year to start improving our lives, but the new year is just around the corner and like most people, I have a few things that I am going to challenge myself to do to become a better person and make my life even better than it currently is.

In 2013, I resolve to:


Pay at least $17,000 toward my student loans
At the beginning of 2012, I made a resolution that I would pay at least $15,000 toward my student loans. Not only did I achieve that, but I surpassed my goal with a total of $17,259 paid this calendar year. I still have quite a ways to go to get them gone, but I was able to get them well under the six digit mark, and almost into the 80K zone. Could I have paid more? Absolutely. However, with the amount of traveling and life-living/enjoying that I have had the opportunity to do this year, I regret nothing and am willing to extend my payment time by a few months in the grand scheme of things. Pushing to pay them off has also taught me a balance of life and sacrifice.

Do at least one random act of kindness per day
Let's face it, by nature we are all selfish creatures to at least some extent. But, the old adage is true - giving is receiving. Unless your heart is made of pure stone, doing a good deed for someone will make you feel better, no matter how you were feeling before you did it. I'm not necessarily talking anything huge, but I will be making a conscious effort to think about someone or something other than myself for at least a few short moments each day. I'm pretty sure that this will change my life in the long run, as well as help me with my next resolution...

Find new ways to battle negativity around me
Humans tend to focus on the negative, and I am no exception. It's easy to find, but not always easy to overcome. I work in a job where negativity is part of some people's coping skills for rehabilitation, and it can be very daunting to rise above. And then there are the "Negative Nancy"s of the world to bypass.  It can be overwhelming at times, but that doesn't mean that I have to allow it to get to me. Buddy the Elf had it right when he said, "Smiling's my favorite." I'm going to work on making it my favorite, too, even at times that I don't feel like it. 

Learn enough German to be able to hold a casual conversation
I live in Germany but I speak little German. It's not for lack of trying, and I do know more after just over a year than some people who have lived here for three times as long, but I could be putting more effort in to it. For all its harshness in sound, it actually is quite a beautiful language in its own right, and it definitely provides a challenge when it comes to learning grammar, sentence structure, and pronunciation (and I like challenges). By the end of 2013, I want to be at a point where I can easily transition into a conversation in German without having a headache afterwards.

Finish all the explorations in How To Be An Explorer Of The World
If you've read my blog recently, you've seen me talk about this book. So far I have completed two explorations and am currently in the process of another one. It's a great book that is helping me to look at the world a little bit differently than I have before and challenging my "normal" views of things.

Improve my eating habits
This one is vague for a reason, because I'm not totally sure how I'm going to do it. I'm thinking that having more control over my portion sizes and the amount of sugar (especially in the form of chocolate) are good places to start. I like to take advantage of my metabolism while I can, but I also need to get ready for when it does start to slow down eventually. That, plus, I'm still working on my six pack, and a thin layer of cushion makes it that much less defined. ;)


So, those are my resolutions for 2013. If you see me cheating, hold me accountable. I have tried to make them things that I actually have a good chance of accomplishing, so hopefully I will be successful and have an awesome leaping off point for next year.

The last little bit that I have is to leave you all with a video to recap 2012. I find it to be quite beautiful, even if you don't know what every video clip is referencing. To me, it makes my heart leap because what I see in it is love. I was also very excited to see a lot of Paralympic clips as well as a quick shot of my alma mater (University of San Diego) at the 5:06 mark. Click here to enjoy the video.

I hope that 2012 has treated everyone kindly and may 2013 be a year of amazingness yet to come! 

No comments:

Post a Comment